Friday, December 15, 2017

BotB: THE BOXER

For Saint Mac



cuz he's sweet, when he's not paying attention.

"The Boxer" is a song by the American music duo Simon & Garfunkel from their fifth studio album, Bridge over Troubled Water (1970). Produced by the duo and Roy Halee, it was released as the lead single from the album on March 21, 1969. The song, primarily written by Paul Simon, is a folk rock ballad that variously takes the form of a first-person lament as well as a third-person sketch of a boxer. Simon's lyrics are largely autobiographical and partially inspired by the Bible, and were written during a time when he felt he was being unfairly criticized. The song's lyrics discuss poverty and loneliness. It is particularly known for its plaintive refrain, in which the singer sings 'lie-la-lie', accompanied by a heavily reverbed drum. (wiki link)

Now, I gotta tell you, I'm a dedicated Simon and Garfunkel fan. Oh Baby, play anything by them and I'm gaga for it. Talk about getting the fan-girl on! I'm a Paul Simon fan also, but not so much Garfunkel solo. Wierd huh? Since I think Garfunkel makes the duo great.

But, I love love love the folksy/blue grass sound of Mumford and Sons. Can you say country boy-band crush? They truly do this song justice.

So I'm playing Mumford first cuz I know a lot of people vote for the first version they hear. I'm torn in this battle. I need y'all to tell me which is best.




or





Vote for your favorite, and visit others on this BotB linky.

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is close. Mumford and Sons give the song a little more richness. But the harmony in Simon and Garfunkle's version is perfect. Tough call. I'll be a rebel and say the first one, just to make it interesting.

Pat Hatt said...

They were both great indeed. Simon and Garfunkle has the edge for me.

Debbie D. said...

Pitting an original with a remake usually doesn't end well for the cover artist. Mumford & Sons did a good job, but like you, I'm a huge S&G fan and the original with its sweet harmonies is too deeply ingrained. it's Simon & Garfunkle for me.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

WILD THING ~
Ha!-Ha! I'm sweet when I'm not paying attention? But, wouldn't that mean I'm ALWAYS sweet?

I'm not really sure what that all meant, but I thank you nonetheless (methinks).

Well, to begin with, I have a hard time taking Mumford & Sons seriously. I can't see that name without thinking they're having a heart attack and [link> they're going to join Elizabeth.

And then there's SIMON & GARFUNKEL. I was a fan even in those prehistoric times while they were still putting out new hit records. I'm pretty sure someone could create a test that would conclusively prove there is something wrong with the person's soul who did not like Simon & Garfunkel.

Although Sanford & Sons did this song fine, it still just sounded like a cover to me. I'll take THE ORIGINAL, with the simple, pretty and sweet beginning that builds into orchestral majesty and the power of a determined counter-puncher in the final round.

Thanks again, Wild Thing! I'm going back now to my obliviousness, where I feel most comfortable.
[;^)}

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

farawayeyes said...

Never heard the M & S version before and it’s quite good, BUT I sill gotta go with S & G, ain’t nobody does it better.

Saw Paul in person at Tahoe last summer and his concert was fantastic.

Arlee Bird said...

I like Mumford and the boys just fine, but on this song the best version is the original by S & G. I prefer the simple direct approach they take and their vocals are hard to beat.

A vote for Simon and Garfunkel.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Anonymous said...

I'm not a Simon & Garfunkel fan, and heard this song way too many times when it was popular. I'm going with Mumford & Sons because they breathed new life (as far as that goes) into a song I relegated to the "EBS Special" bin almost fifty years ago.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Donna,

Mumford & Sons did a nice job but there's no denying the original totally rocks, so my vote belongs to Simon & Garfunkel! Have a good weekend, my friend!

Janie Junebug said...

I adore Simon & Garfunkel, but I vote for the simpler, clean sound of Mumford & Sons. I appreciate being introduced to something different.

Love,
Janie

Botanist said...

I agree with some of the comments here that I've heard this song so darned often it's good to hear some freshness injected into it. Plus I love Mumford & Sons anyway, so they get my vote. Only by a whisker though.

Birgit said...

Both are excellent and I could easily liste. To both so this was tough but I still give it to S & G because of their beautiful voices. The lead on the other just sounded a bit nasally to me but that is minor.

Mike said...

Simon and Garfunkel get my vote! Happy Holidays