Monday, December 11, 2017

MOVED BY MUSIC

“Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.” Ludwig van Beethoven

I'm trying to post on my blog more often. Its an early New Years resolution.

I was sitting in a motel room this weekend, bored and freezing (freezing only if I left the room), and decided I needed to write something. Woah! Bet that comes as a shock - a writer wanting to write.

Well, after much procrastination - in the form of laundry, packing my suitcase, rearranging the crap in my car, and a very short walk - I sat down to tweak/write my WEP post for Dec 20. While waiting for the mid season 8 episode 8 final of The Walking Dead to aire. Very long day.

Got that post written and scheduled (pats self on back); plus a Dec 15 Battle of the Bands, watched THE WALKING DEAD on my computer (oh FUCK!!), cried a little, and kicked myself cuz its late and I'm not snoozing.

But nothing inspires me like orchestra music. Now, I love the music; but sometimes I think its the co-operative event that inspires me more than the music itself. Each artist practices alone, perfects their art alone, listens to the nay-sayers that want them to hurry up and make a name for themselves. But only within the group does the artist truly shine. How many solo artists play, sing, write, produce, market, and perform on stage alone?

Makes me think of writers; who sit in their caves to listen to the voices in their head, bash out the story on virtual paper, then send it out to critic's, agents, publishers; and eventually readers. It takes a community to bring a great story to life.

So I'm sharing my fav music with you for the night, then going to bed.

I'm still visiting around from the IWSG, and planning some posts for 2018 that actually have writing related content. Imagine that, huh?

So here's to getting a jump start on 2018. Listen or not. Comment or not. I'll be seeing ya around.


9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Within the band, it all comes together - and comes alive as one.
Cool you're staying on top of the posts.

Pat Hatt said...

Sure brings it all as one. Haven't watched the walking dead yet here. Must get on that. Getting posts done is a win too.

Botanist said...

Never thought about that individual v. co-operative aspects of art. Food for thought. Glad to hear you're planning to be around a bit more too.

Denise Covey said...

Hey Donna! Such good news that you're writing! I'm listening to your video while I comment. Lovely. And I'm so pleased to see you've signed up for WEP this month and have a post scheduled. Awesome!

Merry Christmas! Be safe on the road!
May 2018 be successful in every way!

Denise :-)

J.H. Moncrieff said...

I'm committed to getting a jump on blogging in the New Year too. It's not easy. Too often I leave it until the last minute and end up spending all night returning comments.

Here's hoping we both get ahead of the game!

dolorah said...

Thank you all for commenting :)

Nick Wilford said...

Nothing can really get done in isolation. We all need others to help us shine. Glad to hear you're planning more posts for 2018!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Well done Donna - nothing like being slightly ahead ... good luck for next year with your resolution of writing a bit more; I have yet to do my 20th Dec post ... cheers and see you around - Hilary

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

PS came by again ... and love the music video - it is inspirational - cheers Hilary