Wednesday, March 7, 2018

IWSG: FINISH LINE

Hello;



Welcome to the March edition of Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG). I'm on the road and will be slow in visiting blogs until this weekend, so I apologize in advance for being super late.

If you are here, you likely already know the IWSG posting details. Its been long and longer since I visited anyone new on the linky list. Sorry.

My insecurity this month? I've lost two books in my trilogy. Yeah, this sucks. I hope I find them on a missing flash drive. I don't see myself rewriting two entire books. Losing the trilogy - even though I'm not sure the books will ever sell - has me questioning if I want to continue writing. I know I have other books, stories, in me to write. But, that trilogy was my beginning, Ya know?

This months optional IWSG question: How do you celebrate when you achieve a writing goal/ finish a story?
  Wine. Happy Dance. Lots of positive self talk and pats on the back. I don't currently have any crit partners, but in the past it was send off to the critique group, integrating suggested revisions, then submitting off to the publication the story was written for.
  I have several short story publications, most published by the anthologies they were submitted to; but the women's fiction trilogy still sits in the computer. I have re-written the first chapter of Book 1, and fulfilled a New Year's resolution/goal (and in the process noted that I've lost the other two books); and completed some of my Finish Line rituals; but now I need to revise some to integrate the changes into the continuing work. And then, query/submit. Its been a good five years since my last round of submissions for this novel; probably two years since I last opened the documents.
  I consider submitting the ultimate Finish Line ritual. I love writing, but I also love acceptance and publication. I will share with you that I intend to submit to Morrigan Books (if I locate the other two books in the series), and I hope YOU might have something also to submit also. Morrigan books is looking to expand into e-books:

Areas that Morrigan Books are very keen to see submissions from would be Horror, Dark Fantasy, Crime, Science Fiction, Contemporary, Steampunk, Urban Fantasy and Young Adult.
Areas not likely to generate interest are: Paranormal Romance (although Paranormal itself will be considered), Dark Comedy and Erotica.
If you think you have a book that is well-suited to our catalogue (please visit our homepage for further details) please send a mail to our query department
query[at]morriganbooks[dot]com with a full plot synopsis, first three chapters and cover letter, explaining who you are and your writing to date.
We are interested in submissions from both unpublished and published authors.
 That's my March IWSG post. Be sure to visit our host/creator, Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh, and this month's co-hosts: Mary Aalgaard, Bish Denham, Jennifer Hawes, Diane Burton, and Gwen Gardner.

32 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Never heard of Morrigan books before, that I can recall. That sucks a ton when you lose your work, I wouldn't want to write two over again either. I had one get lost on me and I screwed with the piece of crap computer until I got it out. Now I back up 4 or 5 times lol

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

They are just now moving into eBooks?
I hope you find the other two stories. Did you print them out at some point?

Natalie Aguirre said...

I hope that you find your stories. That's so hard to have lost them. But don't give up your writing if you enjoy it just because you lost them. If they were good, you may be able to recreate them more quickly and better if you have to rewrite. Many authors have to totally rewrite when editing.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I'm sorry about you losing those manuscripts. Maybe they are just misplaced. Like you said, maybe you'll find them on a flash drive or something. I sure hope so.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I feel bad that you lost two books of your trilogy, dont you save them, Donna? I usually email them to myself, that's the best and easiest way to save our stories. And I also save them on CD's and a pen drive.

Mary Aalgaard said...

I sure hope you can retrieve those books. They have to be somewhere embedded in the memory of the computer, or a lost thumb drive. A computer geek might be able to help you!
Thanks for the info on submitting to Morrigan books.
Mary at Play off the Page

Michael Di Gesu said...

Gee Donna that really sucks...

Did you ever send them to a critique partner? They may still have it. I usually keep folders on all the critiquing I've done for my partners....

Keep writing, Donna. You really do enjoy it!

Hope everything is good in your world!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Donna - oh gosh I do hope you find those stories ... double back up required obviously in future! But you're thinking forward about submitting and that's a big plus - good luck and cheers Hilary

Caitlin Coppola said...

I can't believe you lost your books - I'm so sorry! I'd be devastated. There wouldn't be a bottle of wine left untouched in my house. Good luck with submitting to Morrigan books!

Cherie Reich said...

Oh, that's terrible about losing two books in your trilogy! I hope you'll find them.

Arlee Bird said...

Horror of horrors! Losing one's writing can be so devastating. I've tried to keep multiple back-ups of my writing--on flash drive, on my computer, and emailed to self. So far I'm good. Hope you recover that which has been lost.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I feel your pain!!! I lost my first book years ago. I was able to find it by running a search on my computer. Well, I found a version of the book I had accidentally saved to the hard drive instead of my flash drive.

You might also check your email sent folder...did you email it to anyone? You might find it there.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find it. How crushing.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Best of luck retrieving those books. It's a terrible thing to have work like that vanish without possibility of recovery.

Juneta key said...

Oh wow, that does suck. I hope you find them. Crossing fingers. Happy IWSG Day.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

"Lots of positive self talk and pats on the back." That's the true celebration.

Olga Godim said...

Losing your work - two whole books - is horrible. I hope you find them. I need to start backing up more diligently.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Best wishes on your submissions. Hope you find those other books.

Botanist said...

Ouch! Losing work like that is bad news. I hope you manage to find them.

Lisa said...

Oh no! I've lost a book and cried like a baby. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Also, thanks for the info on Morrigan Books!

Laurel Garver said...

Hope the lost work is soon found! You've definitely lit a fire under me to back up stuff like crazy.

Morgan Cartwright said...

I hope your lost work is recovered. I can't even think of how defeating that would feel.
Sending good thoughts for works to be found!

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

WILD THING ~
That's a total drag that you lost two books, but I have a feeling you'll find them again. I mean, they HAVE to be there somewhere, right? It's not like you deleted them or taped over them. (Taping over something is so VHS. I KNOW you couldn't have done that, even if you tried.)

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

Loni Townsend said...

*grimace* That sucks about losing your books. I hope you find them! And best of luck with submitting!

dolorah said...

Pat: I backed up several times; then combined into one.
Alex: way behind, I know
Natalie: lol, had some long drives to go over what I remember.
SA: I’m sure I’ll find the flash drive.
Rachna: I should e-mail them to myself, that would help.
Mary: hope you submit something and get accepted.
Michael: never sent either books to anyone.
Hilary: thanks
CG: lol, the wine was my first form of pity party.
Cherie: thanks
Arlee: “that which was lost” sounds like a good book title, lol.
Elizabeth: I searched my sent folder just in case I sent it to myself at some point.
Mike: yep, deleted is permanent
Juneta: thanks
Lynda: yep
Olga: definitely do that
Susan: thanks
Ian: it’s a possibility
Lisa: good luck with your own submission
Laurel: good, go back up your work
Morgan: thanks
St Mac: at least VHS might have left useable snippets between recordings, lol.
Loni: thanks

Donna K. Weaver said...

What a nightmare, to lose two books! I really hope you can find them.

The Cynical Sailor said...

Oh my goodness. Losing two books. How heartbreaking. I really hope you can recover them.

Gwen Gardner said...

Oh no! Have you tried doing a search? I accidentally delete my first two books (the revised and edited versions) and didn't noticed until I went looking. They were in the trash file! I noticed that sometimes when I highlight a file, it will highlight others as well with a check mark. I think I accidentally deleted them when I was cleaning my computer. But I recovered them!

I hope you find your books!

Chrys Fey said...

Oh no! I once lost two completed books, MANY years ago, and never did work on them again, although I still have the ideas written down. I sure hope you find them and it's not a total loss.

Tamara Narayan said...

I hope you find those stories! That's a nightmare.

Ellie Garratt said...

I hope you do find the two missing books. Every writer's worst nightmare.

Christine Rains said...

Oh no! I hope you find those books. Yikes. And good luck with your submission!

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh no!! I really hope you can find those books!