Wednesday, March 6, 2019

IWSG: Perspective

Hi Everyone!

Hope the last of Winter is treating ya'll well. Bad storms have been hitting Northern Cali, Nevada, Oregon. Seems like Winter is just revving up here. I guess I won't remember all the snow and rain when I'm enjoying all the water activities and green grass this summer. But boy, am I ready for sunshine, with or without warmth! Spring must not be too far away; that damned fruitless Mulberry in my front yard is already starting bud. I won't be complaining about the over-abundance of big green leaves this summer either.

Perspective can be a fickle friend, at least in my POV. Hate the snow in winter - unless you are a snow bird) but love the run-off in summer; hate the unforgiving rain and wind in winter - love the filled levies during summer; hate the crazy drivers and slow moving traffic during the spring/summer construction months - love love love smooth easy roads on my commute that let me listen attentively to my favorite radio stations during the drive. Or a totally engrossing audio-book.

I think for every one (maybe 2) drawbacks to something, you can usually find several good things. Even if those good things take a bit a patience for them to appear.

Lately I've had a lot of lessons in "perspective" both through my job and with my home life. Who is the "villian" or "hero/victim" in any conversation - oral story telling - a lot of time is a matter of perspective.
 - Side note: if you watched the last episode of Walking Dead, where the council and Judith are all at odds with each other, you'll get a perfect example of "perspective" through several conflicts between acknowledged good guys and bad guys.

But, back to the original topic, I've had to take several steps back over the last couple months and really look at things from another person's perspective. In my job, I seem to be playing moderator between our Regional Manager and a couple fellow employees (nothing like being the odd man out on both sides), and between my company and the stores I provide Rep services. Store says "yes you will take that winter stock back" and HiWay says "nope nope its a sell through, here's your new summer product to replace it." I say at my store "I'd love to return that, but HiWay won't let me." Who's the villain in all this? Nobody, policy is policy, everyone knows their role to play, everyone fights it. Fun, huh?

At home . . well, lets just say I don't always have to spend a night or more at a motel in another state, but its sure easier than sitting in a room full of people who all think they are RIGHT. I can play the role of Hero in one conversation, Villain when they all want different things and I throw my hands up as I run out of viable arguments, and unwelcome instigator when I have my own perspective (opinions) to add.

I'm sure YOU have been here before yourself. At work, home, and of course, juicing up your characters and plots in your writing. At least in writing, Authors know who is supposed to win an argument, and why.



This month's Insecure Writers Support Group question is: Whose perspective do you like to write from best, the hero (protagonist) or the villain (antagonist)? And why?

Honestly, lol, I love to write the Villain perspective. Maybe I'm just a natural born antagonist - always playing devils advocate in my personal/work life. I think my profession as a social worker helps me see all sides of a conflict and ~usually~ set aside my own biases. Writing the antagonist as an intelligent, passionate, likeable being is a lot of fun. I've been known to giggle maniacally while writing nefarious scenes and conversations for them.

A Byronic Hero is almost as intriguing to write, but sometimes that whinning gets on my nerves. Perhaps it is a bit too close to my own personality at times. And maybe my problems with writing a Hero's perspective is - I just don't believe in true Hero's in real life. I'm a cynic. Even though I know that GOOD always, eventually, wins the overall battles. As it should.

I suppose that is why all my hero's have a bit of villainy to them. Or do my villains have heoric tendencies. Like with my last flash fiction for WEP/IWSG; the true antagonists were outrageous villains, no doubt about it; but by the time my protagonist came into her powers, she killed with every bit as much blood lust as the Mayan warriors perpetrated. Aw, sweet villainy on both sides.

And a bonus, I won the Encouragement Award for the WEP: 28 Days challenge. The rewards of writing from the Antagonist perspective. Bwaahahahaha!

This month's IWSG co-hosts are: Fundy Blue, Beverly Stowe McClure, Erica Bedbe, and Lisa Buie-Collard. Thank them all, and host Alex J Cavanaugh, with a visit. And, visit the IWSG linky to connect with even more awesome bloggers and maybe get a lot of different perspectives on the Perspective question.

Ok, as Jerry (TWD) says - "gotta bounce!"

25 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There is always good in something. Although I'd really like for it to stop raining here.
Sorry you are stuck in the middle at work.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You are going to need a lot of people skills to handle that situation.

Natalie Aguirre said...

It's hard to be stuck in the middle, especially at work. I'm looking for some warmer weather and sunshine too. We should get in the 40's later this week. Woo Hoo!

Stacy McKitrick said...

Congrats on the award!

I'm tired of the cold weather. Of the snow. I want to see some green NOW (and not have to bundle up just to get the mail)!

Erika Beebe said...

Congratulations on your Encouragement award! I think it's awesome how you are drawn to the villain. Happy IWSG Day :)

Denise Covey said...

Hey Donna congrats on your WEP award. Well deserved. Loved your story. Want to hear more. I write from the protag's POV but that doesn't mean the antag isn't well thought out. No one's 100% evil after all. Hope not.

Have a good time in your role of hero/villain in real life!

Olga Godim said...

I like the confusion in your definitions. You're right: more often than not the hero/villain scale is a matter of perspective. I'm sure for many Germans during the 1930s, Hitler was a hero. It is only later, when he lost the war, and all the atrocities became known, that the world defined him a Villain with the capital V.

Botanist said...

I like your take on perspective here. For writing, I try to choose points of view that offer the best perspective on that particular scene. This might be hero(ine), villain, or someone else. The important factor is that they must be fun to write.

dolorah said...

Alex: just have to look for the good sometimes. Sun is coming :)

L Di: yeah, but only for the next month. Then it will BE the next season, lol

Nat: Sometimes the middle is tough, sometimes its easy. The 40's, ah my menopause likes that degree of weather.

Stacy: I skip the mail, make the hubby bundle up. Most of my bills come e-mail, so why go out on a Saturday . . .

Erika: thanks. And thank you for co-hosting IWSG.

Dx: thank you for the award :) I love a well thought out protag and antag. Adversaries should be equals!

Olga: a very thought provoking comment. I like it, thank you. Yes, a lot of times I think historical villains are a matter of who won the war. The German people were 100 percent behind Hitler - but possibly not for the entire regime. Almost any authentic voice can be popular/heroic when the public is in crisis. Then, clear thinking takes effect as consequences are felt. The problem with hind-sight is it happens AFTER the initial crisis.

Ian: I mostly write in 3rd person limited, and so I have to make that single perspective engaging, and thought provoking for the reader. I'm experimenting with multiples though, because I agree that differing scenes and settings need multiple perspectives. I still have a lot to learn about craft writing.

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah, there is always something good or bad or even in the middle. All depends on how we look.

Carol Kilgore said...

I love this post! Many times, creating fiction is much easier than managing real life. Real live breathing humans are messy. Maybe that's what also makes life more fun. Hugs!

Lisa said...

Your story for the WIP was really good! I liked the setting/time period you used a lot. So different. I like your take on the question of the month, too. Never thought of it like that. I find it very interesting that a lot of folks like writing the villain more. I think that comes from us not giving into our own villain in our lives, trying to be "good" all the time. That's hard to do.

Diane Burton said...

Hurray for the Encouragement Award. I'm sure people really appreciate your support. I'm waiting for winter to end here in Michigan. You're right about the duality of problems. Construction is the 5th season here. But, every time I'm delayed because of lane closures, I tell myself it will be good when it's done. So, too it is with winter. I'll really appreciate Spring when it finally gets here. Keep up the great attitude.

Loni Townsend said...

I play mediator all the time in my family. I also play translator at work, when it comes to building our projects. Got to make sure both parties understand the goals!

Woot for winning the encouragement award! That's awesome. I love characters who are shades of gray. So much more interesting!

Juneta key said...

Congrats on your reward. I like those shades of gray characters too.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Congrats on the award!! I always try to look at the different perspectives too. Sometimes it gets me caught in heated crossfire, but oh well, I am who I am.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

WILD THING ~
I sure do hear ya on all that stuffs about the Winter! Hokey-Smoke! This Winter (which doesn't appear to be over yet) sure sucked the big potato! (I don't know what that means. It just came to me stream o' consciousness-like.)

And the odd thing is that all this Winter crap (i.e., snow, rain, wind) seemed to materialize precisely on the day I started making my move from Reno to Carson City (aka Willoughberry). We've only had 3 sunny days (albeit cold days, nevertheless) here in Northern Nevada since the very day my move began.

I keep thinking: I hope my new neighbors aren't blaming ME for this. I mean, I could see their point: New guy moves into the neighborhood and the weather immediately goes to hell for a month, and counting...

All I wanna do is get on my bicycle and explore my new town but... nope!

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

dolorah said...

Pat: you have cats, so you know exactly what the middle means, lol.

Carol: both fictional and real people have their moments; at least with fictional characters there are do-overs and a delete key :)

Li: thank you for all the compliments! Yeah, I'm a really "good girl" in my real life, not taking many risks, and sometimes I envy the villains for their ability to put aside their fear of failure, and just do what they want. Sometimes, lol. I'd like to be a little more risky in my real life, but in the legal sense. Like, taking vacations, buying non-conservative clothes, eating desserts. Telling my boss I need a raise . . .

Diane B: "Construction is the 5th season here." So true here in NorCal also, lol. I supposed humans are just built not to be happy all the time.

Loni; well, good luck with all your mediation chores. Hope to see a WEP post from you again soon.

Juneta: thank you

Elizabeth: well, sometimes those "heated crossfire" discussions can be productive. Someone has to stir the proverbial pot to keep all sides informed :)

Saint Mac: that was your doing with the Nevada weather?? Well, now I can thoroughly chastise you, blame you, cuss you out - and have a drink in your honor!! Don't want to cast doubt on your weather-mage skills, but I seriously hope you took all that ill wind with you out of Reno. I'm headed that direction next week and I'd love some sun - cuz sunny CA isn't cooperating yet. I'm sure you'll find a hill to coast that bike down soon enough. Remember - red solo cups on that demonic ride, not glass beer bottles!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Yes, perspective is everything. No one is one-dimensional and POV can show how they view the world so even the "villains" see themselves as heroes in their own stories.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Congrats on your encouragement award. Very cool!
And yeah, I'm hankering for some cold weather here in Oz where it's the last of summer trying to hang on.

Nick Wilford said...

Agree there's a lot of overlap and any hero could have villainous traits. That said, villains are a lot of fun, but not sure I could write a whole novel from the perspective of one.

Chrys Fey said...

I can see how being a social worker would help someone to see all sides and aid in writing the perspectives of many different characters. You have a neat advantage most of us don't have. :)

Anonymous said...

It's always good to look at things from a different perspective. Makes you think.

J.H. Moncrieff said...

I love writing from the view of the antagonist as well. It's fun to humanize the bad guys, to help readers see that there's always another perspective or way of looking at things.

When I first began researching the dark history of Poveglia for The Girl Who Talks to Ghosts, I was intrigued by the real-life doctor who'd performed unethical medical experiments on his patients and who either jumped (or was pushed) to his death. He had to be evil, right? But when he became a character in my novel and I saw the world through his eyes, he really did believe he was curing and helping people. He thought he was a great physician who would change the world of medicine with his miracle cures.

Even though he committed horrible atrocities, his heart seemed to be in a good place, and he came to a horrible end. It was hard not to feel sorry for him.

Nicki Elson said...

Aha! So the villains can win. Congrats.

Very interesting way to tie this hero/villain thing into our real lives. Naturally, I always think I'm the hero when dealing with conflict...but I did feel myself slipping into villain recently and need to dial that back a bit before the other catch on to me, heehee.