Wednesday, September 4, 2019

IWSG: Writing Space

Hello!!

I am, again, almost late for a post day. Time just got away from me, so I'll make this short and simple. I hope.

Today's IWSG is brought to you courtesy of founder Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh, and his co-hosts: Gwen Gardner, Doreen McGettigan, Tyrean Martinson, Chemist Ken, and Cathrina Constantine.

September optional question is: If you could pick one place in the world to sit and write your next story, where would it be and why?

  This is a more difficult answer than it should be. I always thought my favorite place to write is home; then it was a beautiful setting like the beach or some other resort. Somewhere alone, no distractions like work or kids or husband, or cats, or cleaning.
  The truth is though, it really doesn't matter how alone I am, or where. I can get distracted by simply turning on my computer - with or without internet. There are games in there, and photos, and old unfinished stories to review that might relate to my current writing
  I suppose my favorite writing place should be alone, in a room with nothing to eat or drink, no cell phone, a computer with nothing on it but a word program - - oh look, I wonder what that button/feature does! OR - I could open another document and also write on that new character that just entered my head and doesn't belong in this story.
  OR - -

I love writing stories. I really do! I love being in a character's head, creating their world, making up all the rules, making stuff happen, or not. The more twisted the concept, the more I enjoy it. Writing is my favorite way to spend time, or waste it. All I need, is to stop letting myself get distracted. And a beautiful setting to write in, would just make me want to explore my surroundings.

So where is your favorite place to write? Are you easily distracted? Or do you immerse yourself and have to be dragged out of your writing time kicking and screaming, lol. Did you get a submission in for the IWSG Anthology contest?

22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Maybe scratch the computer and just give you a notebook?

Soulution Pilates said...

This is a very well-written post you have got here, thanks for sharing this post. I was searching for Bala Kudu book store when I found your site.

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

How very true, it is so easy to be sidetracked, always something of interest. I have to tell myself to get down to it, stop finding other things of interest! 🌹

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Running a business from home means I am constantly distracted.

Lisa said...

Definitely easily distracted, at least most of the time lately. I'm working on that and so far I'm staying on track! Thanks for dropping by!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Donna - I try not to be distracted ... and am happy writing at home, not out and about. Tomorrow will see me sitting quietly getting my next post ready ... take care and just enjoy creating your characters and stories - cheers Hilary

Rachna Chhabria said...

Nowadays I'm carving out chunks of writing home without distractions.

Chrys Fey said...

Not having any distractions is key to writing anywhere.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I have the same problem getting started. Once I am writing, I can stay focused. But getting past the distractions is the hardest part. Maybe a month in solitary confinement with nothing but Word...maybe that would work.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I don't get too distracted. I've had to learn not to because I write as a contract writer everyday.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

That was a very sensible answer, WILD THING.
How right you are: the nicer the setting, the less likely most people would be to write.

Probably locked in a padded cell is where I'd do my best (or most) writing. If there were a saloon within stumbling distance, I wouldn't get *anything* done.

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

Pat Hatt said...

haha you may need one of those clean rooms with nothing but a notepad and a pencil.

Botanist said...

I find I can avoid distractions quite well, as long as I know what I'm trying to write. But a comfortable setting definitely helps ... sitting in the shade on a summer's day, with cool drinks to hand ...

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Ha, I can relate. Those distractions sometimes seem endless.

Juneta key said...

Home distraction, even your on angst can do. Happy IWSG!

Tamara Narayan said...

I am easily distracted and have a bad habit of checking on things like email, CNN, or the Weather Channel before even trying to write. This can waste a good hour of writing time. By the time I do get into the groove, the phone rings, or I have to go pick up the kids. I need better discipline this year.

Olga Godim said...

I agree with you: it doesn't matter where I write as long as the story flows. Distractions - yeah, they are like mosquitoes, hard to get rid of.

Denise Covey said...

Hey Donna. Nah. I'm not easily distracted. Other than swanning around overseas, I have a dedicated office at the beach house and libraries everywhere are a great place for me - in a meeting room where it's quiet. I'm a quiet person and love a quite writing environment. But loving writing is the main thing no matter where or how.

The more twisted the concept, the more I enjoy it, you said. I hope you're writing something twisty for October WEP. I've been fiddling with vampire stories but they're all tooooo long so far.

Kalpana said...

It really is very easy to get distracted by everything. I was most productive working in my daughter's lab - without internet access. I couldn't talk. My phone didn't work and my laptop had no internet access.

Gwen Gardner said...

I am easily distracted. Even when I’m sitting in my bedroom with no TV or no music I will still go on the Internet and get sucked in. *sigh*

Michael Di Gesu said...

I think many of us get distracted. Life is whizzing by us with so many things to interest our creative minds. Sitting down to actual put words into a computer takes great focus,... But, like you, for me a perfect writing place is at home in a quiet place.

As for leaving Chicago, I can't wait! It's been a long time coming. The village I'll be moving to is only three hours away from Chicago, so if I need a "city" fix, I can hop into my Jeep with Hamlet, and off we go to the big city. What I love about moving to Galena ... I will have a large enough home for my friends to come and visit! I'll have at least two guest rooms and tons of relaxing space. I found a wonderful turn of the century home which I can please both my historic and modern tastes! Not to mention, a FABULOUS walk up attic that I can turn into my own version of the HOGWARTS'S library. It a huge space with lots of wood rafters and plenty of room for me to put in ceiling to floor book shelves! I'll send pics as soon as close on it.

Stephen Tremp said...

Hi Donna, yes the more twisted the plot the better. I totally agree. Twist away!