Wednesday, July 1, 2020

IWSG - Industry Changes

Hey Everyone!

Well, its Wednesday July 1, 2020. Time for the monthly first Wednesday of the month IWSG post. I missed last month's post. And I'm late this month. Not doing well at keeping a schedule, lol. This month's co-hosts: Jenni Enzor, Beth Camp, Liesbet, Tyrean Martinson, Sandra Cox.

 The July 1 question is very interesting, but I could not really answer it. There have been many industry changes in the last decade, so what are some changes you would like to see happen in the next decade?

I guess I'm too stressed over the state of the world right now to hope for much good change. And I'm thinking my of MY WORLD - meaning in America, California, my employment and family. I have been working through all the "shelter at home" orders, traveling state to state, always in the public. Now everyone is allowed out, but has to wear a face covering (unless you fall into a ton of exceptions). And yes, I'm protesting because breathing my own toxic respiration is NOT keeping me healthy.

Then there is all the rioting, protests against police and demands to de-fund and discontinue police departments, the destruction of monuments and statutes, and people taking over public facilities so they live off handouts from the system they vilifying.

Yep, lots to write about. But that "industry changes" question still haunts me. What types of story will  be acceptable in the near future? Historical and Classic books are already being destroyed or rewritten to reflect today's politically correct society, not the era they were written in. Soon, I can see the criteria for publication being a bean count of diversity, not the description of the story.

Every time I read this post, I'm sure its offensive to someone, or everyone. That is certainly not my intention. I delete and rewrite and rethink what I want to say.  Nothing is making any sense. So I'll stop here before I work myself into an unintended, politically incorrect rant.

Be safe out there everyone. The world has gone insane.

15 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

I saw another author suggesting that more transparency was needed in the industry, about advances, publication rates, royalty rates, and so on. Keeping things more open and discussed, and fair, might help overall!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No, I get you. It's total chaos and degenerating at a scary fast rate.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I completely get you. The state of the world is chaotic, so much uncertainty and fear everywhere. God knows what will happen in the next few months.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You have the right to state your opinion and I totally understand. Changing history books - if we erase what happened, how will future generations learn from it? As Rachna said, what else could possibly happen this year?

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, it is frightening and chaotic right now. It is hard to plan out anything or figure out what our future will look like. Good luck as you try to juggle it all this next month.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

It does seem like all the world is chaos. And some of that is the endless media coverage of the large events when most of the nation is stumbling along trying to deal with so many concerns like the pandemic, their jobs, their kids, worrying about parents, stressing over plans, and trying to make things work and get through the day. I'm trying to keep my little corner sane and therefore myself also. Hugs to you.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I totally understand what you're saying. I feel like George Orwell might have been part prophet. Censor this, rewrite that...where does it end? Not to mention a media that thrives off of our suffering, so what's their motivation to ever try to calm things down? Why don't they start obsessing about the number of children who die every day around the world from malaria. It's heart breaking.

Olga Godim said...

I agree with you. Political correctness is no substitute for a good story, even if some people would try to make it so. I hope history would put everything and everyone in the right perspective, but we have to live through these disturbing times.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

The world has definitely turned crazy. I half expect zombies next.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

WILD THING ~

I was just talking with my Brother on the phone about two hours ago, and we are in agreement that this "insanity" we are now seeing is of supernatural origin.

If you think about how blazingly fast everything changed; and consider how logic and reason do not apply to *ANYTHING* anymore (from protests to mask-wearing and governors making "so-called" laws, rather than legislatures doing so), it becomes quite apparent that what we are now experiencing is unnatural, and therefore, supernatural. You can't even show facts and explain anything to anyone anymore because minds have become clouded by some kind of weird, spiritual fog that Truth cannot penetrate.

We are now in an era that I would call 'Postmodernism On Steroids'.

The Good News is: Earth is going to become like 'The Garden of Eden' in 2029.

The bad news is: Things are gonna get a WHOLE LOT WORSE before 2029.

Fasten your seat belt; crash helmet on -- it's going to be a bumpy ride!

~ D-FensDogG
STMcC Presents BATTLE OF THE BANDS

Denise Covey said...

Hi Donna! Things are dreadful, especially in the US. So far, Oz has fared well. But many of us have found solace in writing. Our last WEP was URBAN NIGHTMARE which many found cathartic. Dragged out the deep and dark. I'm sorry that you've had to keep traveling throughout. Please be safe!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Donna - you've generated some interesting comments - and obviously the post comes across as you mean it to; just take care - life in the States appears to be very challenging - but jobs, your family etc must come first ... with health being the immediate thing to be taken care of. Take care - all the best - Hilary

Nick Wilford said...

I think we just have to ride it out and keep being true to ourselves. It's dangerous to rewrite history or obliterate monuments because then it's being denied, and how would you learn from it? It's definitely scary out there.

Arlee Bird said...

Your post is certainly no offense to me as it is spot on. The truth shouldn't offend, but so many people are living in weird fantasies these days that a lot of people just can't handle the truth.

I'm with you on this mask issue. The wearing of the mask has become like some strange new religion when you hear the fervor by which some proclaim the need for it. Recently I purchased a "Trump 2020" mask and received it this past Saturday. Made in U.S.A. and it only took 5 days to get it in the mail. I've worn it a few times so far with no bad reactions from anyone. But I haven't gone into any hotbeds of politicized people and probably won't.

I figure if all Trump supporters would start wearing "Trump" masks then the mandate would likely go away with masks proving to be ineffective. Damn! I hate wearing a mask!

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Bruce XXP said...

Dr Itua email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com and whatsapp nUmber +2348149277967 Dr Itua herbal medicines cure my herpes and hepatitis completely and it has been 3 years now there has been no outbreak, I'm so happy that I'm finally cured.
Dr Itua can cure the following diseases; Herpes, Hiv, Copd, Diabetes, Parkinson, Hepatitis, Cancer, Lymes, Dr Itua Herbal Store www.drituaherbalcenter.com is very safe to use.