Tuesday, November 3, 2020

IWSG: Why do you write?

 Happy NaNoWriMo to all those participating. And good luck to you in your creative endeavors.

I'm not a disciplined or dedicated enough author to participate in this 50K word in one month event, but maybe someday. Not while I'm still working a 40 hour a week job for income though.

I am attempting to find more writing time, and this IWSG post is being written a week before the publishing deadline. Progress!!


Since I'm not writing on any of my projects, I have no insecurities or accomplishments to report. I'm just going to post the question, succinctly answer it, and hop around reading everyone else's contributions this month. No, I don't have writers block: I have lots of viable ideas, and sometimes I write those down and save to a word document. Who knows, someday I may have time to expand those story ideas.

November 4 question - Albert Camus once said, “The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.” Flannery O’Conner said, “I write to discover what I know.” Authors across time and distance have had many reasons to write. Why do you write what you write?

Well, I write mostly because I want to explore What If questions. I write to entertain, or to question, or to inform. I write the stories I write because I enjoy the process, and I hope others enjoy reading my thoughts.

I read for all the same reasons: to be entertained, to explore alternative realities, to expand my world view, to connect with like minded people who are also asking What If questions.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Hope y'all are having a productive End Of Year wrap up.

Today's post was brought to you by Ninja Captain Alex J Cavanaugh, and his brave co-hosts Jemi Frasier, Kim Lajevardi, LG Keltner, Tyrean Martinson, and Rachna Chhabria.

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What if is good.
So is not having any insecurities!

Botanist said...

I also enjoy the process and enjoy entertaining people.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Donna! I've 5 unfinished novels thanks to NaNo. Don't need any more. Maybe one day I'll finish them since I'm sure my writing has improved since those days. Great to see you posting early!

Loni Townsend said...

I'm not doing NaNo either, mostly because I need to finish other things first and I'm also working a 40 hr/week job. I hope you find some time to write!

L.G. Keltner said...

I also love to ask "what if" questions! Sudden "what if" questions popping into my mind have led to some of my favorite stories!

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

WILD THING ~

Like you, I work a full-time job, and so A LOT of things that I'd really like to be doing get put on "Indefinite Hold".

I look forward to next August, when I can officially retire from the workforce and collect the Social Security checks I have spent most of my life contributing to via involuntary tax payments (aka Uncle Scam theft).

Sadly, though, I seriously doubt I will be able to collect those S.S. benefits I have been promised. "We" are on the verge of complete economic collapse, and for that reason (and several more which I can very easily imagine), I think I'm more likely to be living in a cave by next August than that I'll be receiving Social Security checks in my mailbox.

...Then again, I could be wrong. Maybe I'll hit a massive lottery jackpot and retire the next day... not forgetting to send you enough money so that you can retire, too, and get back to your real calling (i.e., asking "What If" questions and writing the answers).

~ D-FensDogG
(aka STMcC)

Diane Burton said...

The "what if" question is one that helps me through a story. Whenever I get stuck, I ask it and try out several scenarios. I can understand why you don't do NaNo, not with working 40 hrs/week. Why put that kind of stress on yourself. I don't do it either. Usually, I'm in the midst of a project and NaNo would detract from it. Or I'm too lazy to write that much. LOL

Elizabeth Seckman said...

You are ahead of the game! I believe I was writing my IWSG post the day of the posting.

Deniz Bevan said...

"what if"! That's a great way of looking at it, especially if I think of it at the end or beginning of each chapter as I write. What if this happened? Then this...

Shannon Mackle said...

I did everything to get my boyfriend back but nothing worked.

I contacted a relationship doctor i saw online.

I told the relationship doctor everything,

He promised to fix my relationship problem.

I am the happiest lady on earth right now,

Never too late to fix your broken heart.

You can still get your lover back...

Fix broken relationship/marriage...

My relationship was restored as promised,

My Ex-boyfriend came back and promised never to leave me again

Everything happened just in 3 days..

I RECOMMEND YOU TO __________________

R O B I N S O N B U C K L E R 11 @ [[G M A I L. C O M]],,. :-). :-). :-). :-). :-)

Aparent Link Affilate Marketing said...

Affiliate marketing is the best way to make money online and develop additional income from multiple resources.